Who’s ready to save lives through blood donations? We are! On Wednesday, July 27th Ruhl & Ruhl will be hosting a blood drive from 8:30 AM -1:30 PM at our Bettendorf Office for our agents. Our goal is simply to contribute to the national blood shortage and hopefully make it easier for those in our community to have access to the medical care they need.
In preparation for the blood drive, we are sharing important facts we have learned while organizing the event. For instance, did you know:
- While 38% of the American population is eligible to give blood, only 2% actually donates.
- Someone needs a blood or platelet transfusion every two seconds. Females receive 53 percent of blood transfusions; males receive 47 percent.
- There is no substitute for human blood.
- The most requested blood type donation is Type O because O- is known as the universal donor blood type. Type AB+ is the universal recipient.
- After donating blood, you replace the fluid in hours and the red blood cells within four weeks. It takes eight weeks to restore the iron lost after donating which is why you have to wait in between donations.
- One donation can help save up to 3 lives.
Each year we strive to grow our donation participation, and this year is no exception. We have expanded our blood drive to include our offices throughout Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin because many of our sales markets have an Impact Life location in their community. This year, we hope to have our highest turnout yet!
Although this event is being held for agents at Ruhl&Ruhl Realtors, we urge you to find a blood drive near you or schedule an appointment at Impact Life. They have many locations and make it easy to check your eligibility. If you are unsure if you are able to donate, check your eligibility here!