If you are thinking of moving within the next year, there are things you can do now that will save you money and headaches when it comes time to list your property. One of the most beneficial – and often overlooked – steps you can take now is to order a pre-inspection.
Most people don’t think about an inspection before they list their home for sale. However, it is a critical step for you to take to sell your home in the least amount of time possible, for the most amount of money possible, and with as little hassle as possible.
Here’s why a home inspection prior to listing helps:
- You have more control of the process. When you order the inspection, you get to walk around your home with the inspector and ask questions. This allows you the opportunity to explain issues and/or correct any mistakes on the report. You can’t do this if you wait for the buyer to order the inspection.
- You get to decide. You can choose the inspector and the contractor. It puts you in the driver’s seat. Otherwise, it could be at the buyer’s discretion.
- You avoid rushed decisions - and increased cost. If you have to make the repairs based on the buyer’s request, then you will have a restricted timeline or a required contractor, which could mean more cost and more stress.
- You increase the likelihood of closing - and closing on time. Often, home inspections are the landmine in the process of closing. They can re-open negotiations - costing you money - or often result in the deal falling apart in the 11th hour.
- You strengthen your negotiating power. If you are able to fix any issues upfront, then you can set the price of your home and remove the ability for the buyer to add improvements - or re-negotiate the price - based on the inspections. If you have a clean report, then you can use it as a marketing tool.
- You limit liability. If you provide the report when you list your home, it could give you protection from legal claims because you disclosed issues upfront.
If you have any questions about the details of the selling process, contact us at (866) 441-1776! We can put you in touch with a local, trust Ruhl&Ruhl Realtor who can provide you with a free market evaluation of your property.